Saturday, September 16, 2006

Back

Things actually went rather well upon my return to the job after two weeks off. There's so much overtime, due to shortages, that the three days I was docked will be made up and more in the next few days. I'm working 12 hours overtime today. I'm going to be working 12 more the 21st and I volunteered for 24 more over the next couple of weeks. Altough we only have three vacancies, there's 6 people hired who have barely started training. I know that's fairly typical of most 911 centers, but it's been like this here for four years. As you can imagine turnover is exceptionally high and the stress level is higher. Human Resources has no idea what questions to ask and they recommend people who wash out easily. There's been attempts to remedy this situation, but HR for the most part doesn't have a clue and they don't care. Hope things are better where you are. Share your situations with us all on this posting.

3 Comments:

Blogger kevbayer said...

We're pretty well off staffing wise - we're only down 2 out of 36ish (I can't remember the exact number). We we're at full staff for about a year - but the newest guy got hired by our local PD and one of our most-senior transferred to a cush-day-job (cush for her) doing outside grounds maintenance for one of the city departments (parks or the zoo or something).
So we're down 2, and some of the Records girls want to transfer out to us - they still have to pass all the initial testing that any other applicant off the street would though - one of them used to be a supervisor for us (in fact, she trained me as a dispatcher) - and now she wants to transfer into a dispatcher position and I'm a supervisor!!

So there's not much dispatcher OT to be had - there's some OT for the supervisors though.
I'm working an extra shift this weekend on days (instead of my regular 2nds), and on 2 of my regular days I'm working days instead of 2nds and then a 3rd shift, then I'm taking a comp-day for a 3-day weekend and next week I'm going to Anniston Alabama for DHS WMD training!
Each of the supervisors is rotating through that training.
One of the dayshift supers is there this week - I'll be there next week - 4 more are going throughout the end of the year...
So it looks like I'll be working 12 hour shifts on Thanksgiving and the day after, and 12 hour shifts on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Boxing Day (eh)!

2:09 PM  
Blogger PJ said...

SOUNDS LIKE YOU GOT IT GOING THERE. CONGRATULATIONS. HR IS GOING TO START EVALUATING APPLICANTS WITH A PSYCHOLOGICAL TEST TOO. I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S TO BE SURE IF APPLICANTS ARE STABLE ENOUGH OR UNSTABLE ENOUGH TO BE DISPATCHERS! :)

3:31 PM  
Blogger Hope said...

In Alberta, we are experiencing another boom..... and a serious shortage of workers at all levels.
But don't come, cause we have a serious shortage of housing as well.
People are getting mad at their boss, quitting and have a new, better paying job the next day.

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

exercise treadmill